Beyond the Bead

Well, Why not!... I'm a jewelry designer, pyromanic...addicted to working with glass and flame!, Single Mom, Friend... I might as well have a place to add all the random thoughts that go through my head and see if anyone has anything to add!

Thursday, February 23, 2006

More Jewelry Class "thoughts"

Hope you have had a great week! I'm not sure how often I'll add to this, probably more if people start reading it (or responding).
Had another metalsmith class on Tuesday night, and was brave enough to move from copper to sterling silver. These pieces will have to be SMALL, it's expensive when you get into the larger quantities! Fun to melt, it has similar properties to glass (in that it balls up completely round if allow it to). I got to cut, anneal, pickle, scrub, melt, pound, polish, solder, scrub, polish, polish... and have the start of a small little pendant about 1/3" x 3/4". Lots of work! The class is instilling a great respect for metalsmiths! I think I will look at all those "artisan made" pieces differently at the local galleries. I used to think...that would be great if it was bigger.
I went home and looked at all the amazing pieces of silver I have from the Karen Tribe in Thailand. I can't imagine what they go through to get that rose to look like a rose.
Check out some of the pieces on my website www.beyondthebead.com to see what I mean.
Let me know what you think,
Michelle

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home